Tuesday 10 March 2009

World Book Day

Can you believe it – I’ve missed World Book Day. In the UK and Ireland we celebrated it last week on 5th March, while for some reason everyone else celebrates on 23rd April. You can find out more here, although I guess it’s a bit late for anyone in the UK.

I love books and reading. I think it’s much better than TV – you have to use your imagination with a book, while TV does it all for you.
My favourite author is Stephen King. It amazes me how prejudice people are to his works, just because they come under ‘horror’. I don’t think he writes horror, I think he writes about people. I love his stories.
But enough of that, I could go on all day. I’ve many other favourite authors and books, after all I read about one a week if I’m not too busy.
Christopher Brookmyre is great; I love his ‘The Sacred Art of Stealing’ and ‘Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks’ amongst others.
Alexander McCall Smith’s ‘The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency’ series and all this other books are wonderful.
And anyone who hasn’t read Philip Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials’ really should.
I could spend all day listing books I’ve enjoyed reading, and so many still out there waiting for my time.

What are your favourites? I’m always ready to try new authors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to lend you a bit of Deric Longden. He often writes about really mundane subjects in the most passionate and creative manner. Brilliant.
I went on a charity shop book binge the other day even though I promised myself I wouldn't after running out of shelf space. I'll lend some of my purchases to you if I find they're any good.

Wild Creations said...

That sounds cool mate.
I'll have to come over and see what you've got.
I've no space for books so its the library for me. :)