Saturday 15 April 2023

The Shipwrights Way - Part Two

 

This morning I ran the second part of the Shipwrights Way, from Petersfield down to Hayling Island = 20 miles.  I started in wooly hat and gloves but had taken them and my jumper off by the end as the sun came out.

I started with a hard climb upto and through Queen Elizabeth Country Park, which I always find a frustrating place to navigate in.  There are more paths than shown on the map and it is very easy to find you are not where you expected.

 

I also got caught up with ParkRun here with a helpful volunteer trying to send me down a hill I didn't want to go down, but I did get a clap. 

The rest of the run was very urban until I got to Hayling, with a good chunk of it along roads (inculding some dual carriageway) and even the bits that followed footpaths under trees didn't feel very natural. 

 

Once on Hayling I followed the Billy Trail, which really is a trail for the last part of todays run.

It was also very strange to go from hearing woodland birds, to suddenly hearing gulls and other seaside birds.

 

To help with fueling I had made some flapjack last night which seemed to work quite well, but was super sticky.  I've frozen the rest to use going forward.

So a good run, but I've learnt that this trail is designed more for bikes than runners and for large parts of it I could have done with my road shoes.

Tomorrow I aim to finish the Way, if I can catch the ferry...

 

 

You can read what happened on part 3 here.

No comments: