Sunday 20 August 2023

Bubbly Sweater

 This year I've been knitting the Bubbly Sweater from Isabell Kraemer.  I say year as it's taken much much longer than I would normally expect a sweater to take.  

I must have started it after I had finished the Kiss of North project as I try to only have one major project on the go at a time.  And this week, only 6 months later, I've finished it!  (I'd normally expect a jumper to take 3-4 months to complete.)

 

Some of it was all the running I was doing.  I was covering a lot of miles, which in turn left me feeling very tired by the end of the day, my normal knitting time.  With a pattern this complicated you don't want to do it when you're tired and bound to make mistakes.  It was only complicated round the yoke and the ribbing, but it still slowed me down.

 

Plus there has been the excitment of the glass studio being finished and so I've lost some time to making glass beads (which I'm very happy about).

But the real issue was the brioche stitch used for ribbing the bottom of the body and end of the sleeves.  I found this so hard and kept making mistakes and as it uses a yarn over, mostly ended up undoing the whole lot and having to start again.  By the end I'd got the pattern in my fingers and finally worked out how to fix a dropped stitch, but it was by far the longest part of the process.

Can you spot the mistake?
 

I'm not sad I kept undoing it, the finished piece looks great, but there is one small miskake on the right sleeve which I've left as I couldn't face undoing it and starting again.

I used 4 balls of Stylecraft special double knit in graphite with the detail in turquoise (much less than 1 ball).  It's a lovely colour combination and I'm really happy with the fit too.  I guess the only bonus of it taking so long is I won't have to wait so long for the cooler weather so I can wear it.

No comments: