Sunday 14 June 2020

Winter Wreath


This project is probably my longest running from getting the pattern to completing it.  I think I got the pattern in 2006, although I can't remember where I saw it, from Purl Soho.
I thought it would make a lovely Christmas decoration and bought all the felt and metallic thread at about the same time.


So I'm not sure why I didn't start working on it then too.  Probably the fear!  It looks pretty complicated and I expect I had easier things that I could work on.
It moved house with us 3 years ago and got left out in a place where I could see it to encourage me, but still I didn't start it.


Then last summer I had a bit of spare time and finally made a start.  I made the felt ring that all the flowers get sewn to, and cut out all the flower bits and bobs.  But then I stopped again although I meant to keep going.  Part of my excuse this time was I'd just started a new job with a commute to London and I was tired.


This year I'm trying to save money so I can spend it on a new kitchen so I've been working on projects that I already have where I can.  And with lockdown I didn't even have to commute to London anymore - no excuses I had to finish it.
Making the flowers themselves was quite nice, but I found the placing on the felt ring quite stressful.  How to make it look balanced and pretty when you have to place each flower one at a time!


But I got there in the end.  Finished!  It can now be tucked away with the Christmas decorations, ready to come out and shine in December.
(I wonder if I would have bought the pattern in the first place if I had known I would own a black dog in the future and working in white felt would be rather unpractical?)

No comments: