Saturday 23 July 2022

A Scarf For Lewy

 A while ago now I saw a thing on social media asking people to knit a scarf for Lewy.  The Lewy Body Society want to raise awareness of Lewy body dementia and to do this they are going to wrap a massive scarf round the Royal Albert Hall in London this autumn.  But they need people to knit the scarfs...

How could I not accept this challenge?  And what a perfect way to use up some of my stash too.

I had a bunch of lovely colours from the hats I knitted last year, the cream and green from Januarys cardy and blues from the Driftwood jumper from earlier this year, so I collected them all together and set about making a scarf.  

I kept the design simple.  Just 6 rows to each stripe and the only rule being the same colour couldn't sit next to itself, but otherwise I just made it up as I went along.

 

I couldn't believe how quickly it grew (it ended up about 8 foot long!).  6 short rows was really fast to knit and by the end of an evenings knitting I might have added 3 stripes!  And it was perfect to take on holiday.  No pattern needed, just to count the stripe rows to make sure they were all the same.

And I really enjoyed thinking about what the next colour would be.  It was such an easy project to work on.  The hardest bit was adding the tassles and deciding on the colour combinations! 

So here it is ready to be sent off to join the other scarfs people are making.  I hope I can see it in the photos from the event this autumn.  And I hope whoever receives my scarf after finds it warm and comforting.  I send it with love. 

No comments: