Sunday 15 February 2009

Mindfulness

I’m afraid that I might be a bit quiet over the next 8 weeks. I’ve just joined the Mindfulness based Stress Reduction course at work and there is a lot of home practice.
Mindfulness can be described as ‘paying attention in a particular way, on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgementally’ (Jon Kabat-Zinn).

As the handout says; Through mindfulness, we learn to become aware of the small changes in the physical sensations in our body, our thoughts and our feelings. Being awake to our experience as it unfolds from one moment to the next means that instead of reacting automatically to situation, we can respond more skillfully – we can recognize the choices available to us, and from there, make wiser, more creative decisions.

This means I’m going to learn how to practice mediation and yoga and hopefully find a better way to deal with stress – something I think we could all use. So if I’m a bit quiet on here over the next few weeks you know why. Wish me luck.

No comments: