Sunday 21 June 2015

Gluten free cooking at River Cottage



If you've been reading this blog for a while you'll know that a couple of years ago, 'im outdoors was diagnosed as a coeliac. Its been an interesting challenge, but as we make a lot of our meals from scratch anyway it's just meant learning some new ways of doing things.  I've managed to get most things to work, but the one thing I've been really struggling with is savoury pastry.  

As I was looking round on the internet to see if anyone could help I stumbled across the River Cottage cooking classes and the fact they run a gluten free course.  'Doesn't that sound cool' I said to 'im outdoors.  Next think I know I have two tickets for the gluten free class for my birthday.  Six months later and its finally time to use them.


We decided to make a long weekend of it and found a lovely B+B to stay in just 20 minutes away.  The day itself was beautiful, Devon at its best.  We got the tractor down from the car park with great views across the farm on the way down.


The class was run by Naomi who was very knowledgable and un-judgemental about how our baking turned out.  We made Sourdough loafs, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Shortcrust Pastry (which we then turned in to mini Bakewell Tarts) and Sourdough Sea Salt Crackers. 



We also had a chance to wander round the veg garden (where we glimpsed Hugh having lunch!) and had a beautiful two course cooked meal for lunch.



It was a brilliant day.  It probably helps that I'm used to baking so I found it really easy.  All I had to do was listen carefully to everything Naomi had to tell us, then copy her.  All the ingredients were all ready weighed out for us and all our dirty things were taken away and reappeared clean.  If only that happened in real life.
At the end of the day we went back to the B+B with boxes full of tasty treats.  And seeing as we weren't very hungry for dinner, we bought some nice ripe brie and had a picnic on the beach.  Bliss.

No comments: