Sunday 26 July 2015

Jam

There are strawberries in here somewhere
Last weekend we went PYO or Pick You Own and got ourselves some lovely strawberry, raspberries and redcurrants.  I'd never been PYO before as we had plenty of fruit in the garden as I was growing up, blackcurrant, redcurrant and gooseberries bushes, apples and plums.  No real need for any more then.  I know a huge number of ways to get rid of piles of apples and plums; jam, crumble, pies etc.


Although we do grow our own fruit and veg at this house, it's only in very small quantities  so no jam making so far.  But with the PYO we put a end to that.  The strawberries were to consume as is - so sweet and tasty so I started with the raspberries.  Weighed then smashed and boiled we ended up with 4 1/2 jars of really deep red jam.  I can't wait to try it out.




Next the redcurrants.  These were to be turned into a jelly.  First they are cooked, then strained then the juices cooked again with sugar.  The kilo of berries made three jars of jelly.  Again I can't wait to try it out.  A satisfying weekend's work.

No comments: