Saturday, 1 April 2017

Heartstrings cushion cover

This year I promised myself I would be a bit more adventurous with my knitting and try out some of the methods I've been putting off.  I've always wanted to try cable, and my friend Katie keeps telling me how easy it is. 

When I decided to make some cushion covers for the new house, I knew this was the perfect time to try cable out.  I made sure I had a special cable needle, found a pattern I liked - in this case Heartstrings cushion cover and found some wool at the local wool shop.

I chose this beautiful Creative Bonbon super chunky, although if I was doing cable again I might use a slightly more plain wool as the colour can detract from the cable a bit.

And I have to say, Katie was right.  Cable really is easy!  The pattern was nicely written, so a quick look at YouTube and I was away.  I did start with a tension square - they make more sense to me now and really do help.  But there wasn't really anything to worry about.  I can't believe its taken me this long to try.

My only real problem was a slight looseness to one side of my cables.  Apparently this is due to the tension of the wool as I do my purl stitch.  It is slightly annoying as there really didn't seem to be much I could do about it.  However the cover came out really well and still looks pretty good. Its good to see my first cushion with a friend.  And I will be trying cable again!

No comments: