Tuesday 16 September 2014

September writers group

After a break for the summer it was great to meet up with the writers group again.
With lots of new faces we had a full room!  A little bit of advertising over the summer helped I think.

The last homework was to write about a celebration and it was great to see, once again, the great range in what was celebrated or not as the case may be.  I loved the story of a girl trying to win her last sports day race; although the lady who wrote it doesn't do much running, it felt like she'd captured all the things I think and feel when I race.

And I actually had something to share this time too, although it had nothing to do with a celebration.  Early morning writing really works for me.  I might have to start getting up at 5am and going to bed at 8.30pm!!  I think 'im outdoors might complain. 

With a little time left at the end we had time for an exercise, so we had 10 minutes to write from 'And then the lights came on...' which put some of our new writers under pressure, but created some intriguing starts; I hope they will revisit them and take them further.

This months homework:  Use the following as either the starting line or the inspiration for a story or poem:  A young girl walks down the High Street.  Clutched to her chest is a pair of bright red, extremely high heels...


No comments: