Wednesday 13 March 2019

Commissioning a Couple of Plates


As I've been working through the Gorgeous Cakes cook book it has occurred to me that I don't really have any nice plates for showing off my cakes.  The larger cakes end up on a dinner plate, the rest on a slightly-larger-than-the-others tea plate.


As I was looking online for something I had a sudden thought - the lady across the road from us makes pottery! Wondering what she makes I had a look on her website.  I loved her work, beautiful form and splashes of colour, but there weren't any plates.  Just as I was thinking I'd have to try somewhere else I noticed she sometimes makes commissions.  It couldn't hurt to ask, right?


Following a chat, and a chance to look in her workshop, she agreed to make me two plates.  One for swiss roll type cakes (but apparently also works for salads etc) and one for the normal round cakes I make the most.  'im outdoors was very excited - they would make perfect easy birthday presents!


The swiss roll plate was with us for Christmas, while the round plate took a little longer due to an issue with its glaze.  But it was totally worth the wait.  I now have two beautiful plates which will make hosting guests for tea a more sophisticated affair.


And they are totally unique!  They aren't mass produced, no-one else will have anything quite like this.  And they are made to my specifications - I took my cake tin with me so we could make sure my cakes would fit.


I can not tell you just how chuffed I am with them.  And I would advise anyone thinking about buying a special one off piece to see if they have a local maker they could support instead of something mass produced in China.  
I look forward to using them for many years to come.

No comments: