Saturday 29 April 2017

A train whistle

I haven't made anything out of paper/card for ages, but I do still love this medium, so when I saw this big train whistle on the Rob Ives newsletter I had to have a go.  
I didn't actually mean to do it this week though, I had other things on my to do list, but then I found a bit of card the perfect size and one thing led to another!

Unlike most of his projects where you just print out the pattern then cut and stick, this only had one thing to print out - a diamond shape which is a template for the bellows.  Everything else was made from scratch following his instructions.

A bit of careful scoring, sticking and folding and I had some bellows.  Add some pipes and I had a whistle.  Its pretty big, definitely a two handed job, and makes a fantastic sound! Toot toot!

Sunday 23 April 2017

A big tiny scottie dog

A couple of weeks ago I found a knitting pattern for a tiny scottie dog.  I made my boss one called Little Sniff, which everyone loved and I know I'll be making more at some point.  
Being so small though I wondered what would happen if I used a super chunky wool.  So in a stash busting manoeuvre I had a go at making another scottie dog, just not so tiny this time.

I used some left over wool from the Frensham cushion cover I made a while back and some size 9mm needles and he came out very well.
And although he is not a tiny creature, he is still a nice size and kept his shape really well.  Now I am thinking about how you could change the pattern to make other creatures...

Note: He has now been named Hector, and is living with my parents at the seaside.

Saturday 15 April 2017

George the long haired pink bear

A year after making a mohair bear called Cyril, I had forgotten most of the pain associated with hand sewing long fur.  So when I came across some gorgeous pink fur at the knitting and stitching show, I couldn't help but buy it.  When I made Cyril, I had copied the pattern a size bigger too and had hoped the bigger pattern would fit on this material, but not so.

Over the course of a week I cut the bits out and stitched them together carefully by hand.  In the process I got totally covered in fluff!
Then he was carefully stuffed and joints added on arms, legs and head before stitching up.

He's come out really well and with a bit of careful trimming round his muzzle I think he looks quite friendly.  However considering he came from the same pattern as Cyril, I am surprised how different he looks.  I can only assume this is something to do with the weight of the material I used.
I know I shouldn't have favorites, but Cyril still holds that title.  Sorry George.

Saturday 8 April 2017

Little Sniff

Last week I was using the biggest knitting needles I own, while this week I was down to nearly my smallest! 
So last week I came across the pattern for a tiny scottie dog which I fell in love with.  I adore tiny creatures so couldn't wait to make one.

And then I found out my boss was going to our Belfast office for a couple of nights and would have to leave her beloved Sniff at home.  I couldn't help myself.  The pattern said it could be made in an hour, which was about right, so I made her a Little Sniff to take with her and keep her company.  He went down a treat.

The real Sniff

Saturday 1 April 2017

Heartstrings cushion cover

This year I promised myself I would be a bit more adventurous with my knitting and try out some of the methods I've been putting off.  I've always wanted to try cable, and my friend Katie keeps telling me how easy it is. 

When I decided to make some cushion covers for the new house, I knew this was the perfect time to try cable out.  I made sure I had a special cable needle, found a pattern I liked - in this case Heartstrings cushion cover and found some wool at the local wool shop.

I chose this beautiful Creative Bonbon super chunky, although if I was doing cable again I might use a slightly more plain wool as the colour can detract from the cable a bit.

And I have to say, Katie was right.  Cable really is easy!  The pattern was nicely written, so a quick look at YouTube and I was away.  I did start with a tension square - they make more sense to me now and really do help.  But there wasn't really anything to worry about.  I can't believe its taken me this long to try.

My only real problem was a slight looseness to one side of my cables.  Apparently this is due to the tension of the wool as I do my purl stitch.  It is slightly annoying as there really didn't seem to be much I could do about it.  However the cover came out really well and still looks pretty good. Its good to see my first cushion with a friend.  And I will be trying cable again!