I've been wanting to do this project for ages, but I've found it really difficult to find some approprate wool. The suggested wool is out of stock and no one can suggest an alternative. In the end I took a chance on some Rico Fashion Cotton Metallise DK, which I was very pleased with.
Although the pattern was free, it had lots of detail and was easy to follow. They suggested making a lenght 12 snowflakes long, but my table isn't that big so I stopped at 8.
Once made you need to do something to stop it curling up at the edges, so I mixed some corn flour with water and dipped my crochet into it, then pinned it out to dry. The starch from the corn flour is supposed to keep everything in place, and it seemed to work, without making it stiff.
This was quite a quick project to work on and looked really pretty on the table. I like how it matches our wooden table. And if I decided it isn't long enough, it would be really easy to add more snowflakes.