Wednesday 8 July 2015

Beginners crochet


Today I had a day off work - holiday to use up, so visited Stitched By You for a beginners class in crochet.  I have friends who knit and friends who crochet, but none who do both.  So as a very happy knitter would I be a happy crocheter? 

We started by working out how to hold the hook and wool.  I felt all fingers and thumbs but thought I'd got it as we made a worm out of chain stitch, only to be told that I'd been picking up the wool wrong. Whoops.  Second attempt went much better.


This time we made another worm of chain stitch, then turned the worm and added single crochet stitches (I'm using american terms here as that was what we were taught).
Turning again we added double crochet stitches and then turn and treble crochet stitches.  The bigger the stitch the faster your work grows - it was like magic.


Then to bring it all together we attempted to make butterflies, using all the stitches we'd just been taught.  I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I think I need to try this again with no-one around to distract me.
It was a fun couple of hours and I look forward to doing more.

No comments: