Sunday 28 June 2020

A Massive Set of Drawers


When we first moved into the house, about three and a half years ago, I draw a diagram for 'im outdoors and asked him if he could make me a set of drawers for all my paper and card.
He said yes, but only after he'd built his workshop as he had nowhere to make things.


With the workshop finally built and usable, and lockdown looming, I suggested we buy all the stuff needed to make the drawers.  We were just in time, and once he'd finished off a few other projects he set to work on my drawers.


I had asked that the bottom big drawers were big enough to hold A1 paper and card, so they are massive.  On our first attempt to get it upstairs to my study we failed as it was just too big.  With a little modification (he cut the top off) we were able to get them up easily, and we made sure to put them together in such a way that if we were to move house again they could come with us.


I've had to wait for the finishing touch - an A1 cutting mat for the top from the local art shop which has just re-opened.
The whole thing is on wheels so I can pull it away from the wall if I am working on something bigger than the top, which is amazing.
And we found some strips of walnut wood to edge the cutting mat which just finishes the whole thing off.


I can't explain just how happy this makes me.  It means that I now have a safe place for all my paper and card where it can be stored flat.  It has meant that I've finally been able to unpack some things from the move and put everything away.  Now if I want to work on a project it is ready to go and I don't have to tidy everything away in time for dinner.


I've already been using it, even without the cutting mat, and it has been so nice to just open a drawer, find the coloured paper I want and make the thing, without having to search for it, or move things out of the way.


I've made a pact with myself that I will always keep the top clear so I can continue using it in this way.
Thank you 'im outdoors.  You've surpassed yourself this time!

No comments: