Thursday 15 October 2020

Virtual Running - Part 5

 

This year I signed up to a virtual challenge to run 1000 miles over the course of the year.  This was before coronavirus was a thing, just because I wanted to challenge myself.

The challenge I signed up for split it into 4 distances with a medal at the end of each. Today I completed the last distance of 291 miles ‘along’ the Cambrian Way, taking my total to 1002 miles in all.


 

I can’t believe I’ve completed this challenge by mid October, when I was fully expecting it to take me to December and that I might even have to add some of my dog walks to make up the distance!


 

It’s been great to have a challenge to work towards, especially in these interesting times, but I’m not sure I’d do any more.  While it has been great to have a challenge to work to, it feels weird to finish a ‘race’ with no finish line or crowds, and I don’t really feel like I deserve the medals I’ve been sent.  For instance I ran 5 miles today and finished my challenge about half way through, but there was no acknowledgement of this, no fan fair, no finish line to run over, I just kept running till I got home.


I’m not a big racer, but I am looking forward to being able to sign up for races again and running with crowds and other runners.


 

For now I’m going to have a week off then see how far I can get in the next 2 ½ months.

No comments: