Tuesday 11 April 2023

Introduction To Bookbinding - Week Six

 

 This was the last class in the series and the one I was really looking forward to - making a clam shell box.

 

The idea is to make a box the perfect size to hold a book and keep it safe.  But I decided I wanted a box to put all 5 weeks worth of books in to keep everything together.  This just meant I was working to a sightly larger size.

 

Because I was working on quite a big box I ended up using wrapping paper for my box cover and brown paper for the book cover, just to have something big enough for the project.

It's a bit of a fiddly project and when I make my next one I will take a little more time setting up my glueing to make sure things are lined up better.  I'll also give my spine a little more room so it folders better and doesn't split the cover. 

 

I also now know that I could make a 4 sided internal box rather than the 3 sided that I made and how that would all work, which is exciting.  So many possibilities.

So there we go, the 6 week introduction to bookbinding course complete.  I've enjoyed it and learnt some new skills to complement what I already knew.  I'm looking forward to trying them out on my next project. 

No comments: