Saturday 27 May 2023

Glass Bead Colour Samples

 

Once my glass studio was all set up, the first thing I did was order some glass to use.  Glass for making lampwork beads come in rods about the thickness of a pencil but a bit longer.  While the names are very pretty I didn't really know what they would look like so I went with two bundles one transparent and one opaque.

 

This gave me just under 100 rods of different coloured glass to play with.

 

Seeing as I hadn't made beads since last September I decided to make a bead of each colour.  This would allow me to practice making beads and keeping them all a similar size, while giving me a sample of each colour to help with future projects.  (Some glass looks different once its been heated.)

 

It took me 4 batches to do all of them, then I had to give them each a little label and lastly take some photos.

Firstly I'm amazed at quite how many lovely colours there are!  But also I'm very please how similar I managed to make most of them. This is an important skill if you are trying to make matching beads for jewerly for instance.

Now I've got my samples I can work out which colours will work well together and what I should buy more of, as a single rod doesn't go far.  Decisions, decisions!




 





No comments: