Sunday 18 June 2023

Slow Way - Newapet

With only two weeks until my race, this was my last proper long run before I start to taper.

Running all these different trails has been amazing, and I'm so glad I've had the experience, but at the same time I have to say I'm looking forward to getting my weekends back!

 

This week I was finishing off the Petersfield Slow Way set of seven, running from New Alresford back to Petersfield.

It wasn't quite as hot as last week and there was a lot more shade on the route which was very welcome.  But it wasn't really a trail.  It used a lot of back roads, so very quiet, but only a little bit on trails until I got closer to Petersfield.  

 

Because I was crossing fields and woodland I got a nice mix of lark song and woodland bird song to keep me company.  Lovely.  But the nettles are getting a bit much on some of the trails now - particularly when having to push through small gaps in hedges to access footpaths.

It was quite a nice route in general, again until I got close to Petersfield.  I came out at Stroud which I've run through before so expected to be routed to one of the bridges over the A3, however I came to what looked like a deadend, with a high hedge screening me from the A3.  On further inspection there was a tiny gap and a stile and then a scary crossing of the A3 to a similar tiny gap on the other side, only to pop out in the industrial estate! 

Seeing as the rest of the route had been quite pretty it seemed a shame to end here.  I'll be suggesting the end is changed to follow a sightly different route.

But that was 16 miles completed.  All seven Slow Ways run.  And a little bit more exploring of my local area logged.  I am so lucky to live in such a beautiful area and love running these routes.  I fully intend to do more after my race. 

Lets just hope it cools down a bit for race day...

No comments: