So something a bit different this post (meaning it's not about glass!).
A lot of people will have heard of the book The Artist's Way. (this is an affiliate link - if you buy it I will get a tiny sum. You can see my whole bookshop here.)
I’ve been aware of it for years, but I’ve finally decided to follow the 12 week programme.
Part of the programme is writing morning pages. 3 pages of stream of consciousness at the beginning of your day, to get all the rubbish out of your head and give you a fresh start.
Again I’ve heard lots about morning pages but never had a go before.
So to show my commitment to the programme and my morning pages I made myself a notebook to write them in.
I haven’t done any bookbinding for so long!
And while it did take me a second to remember how to stitch the signatures together, everything else felt easy. And all my kit was where I expected it to be too! Bonus.
I thought I was going to cover it with yellow paper, but changed my mind at the last second – having already used yellow thread to stitch the signatures together.
So I used yellow paper as my end papers and some off cuts of ‘leather’ wallpaper to cover it.
I didn’t want it to be too good to use!
I think it one of the chunkiest books I’ve made – but I did the maths to see how many pages I would need for 3 pages a day for 12 weeks, so hopefully it’s big enough.
If I decide to continue with morning pages after the programme I’ll have to decide if I want to make a book each time or come up with a different solution, but that’s something to worry about in a couple of months time.
It felt good to do something I haven’t done for a while and have a good result.
Now I look forward to seeing what I can get out of The Artists Way and how it might help me to improve my creative practice.




No comments:
Post a Comment