Saturday 12 June 2021

Beech Bonsai

I've been learning about and trying my hand at bonsai.  With two little trees sitting in pots I was very happy, then 'im outdoors bought me a present.  A beech tree he had dug up at a job.

The poor thing must be at least 5 years old, but has been hacked back a few times and looks like it didn't have much room too grow.

So I potted it up and had a proper look at it.  I cut a few crossed branches off and cut its main branched back a bit as it was getting too tall for what I wanted it for.  There was one branch which cut in, but if I could convince it to bend out, it would much inprove the shape of the tree, so I wired it up and then left the poor thing to get over the shock.  

I was very happy to see it produce leaves at the end of May.  It looked like a proper tree!  But now two of the top branches crossed over each other so I added some more wires to push them out, much improving the little trees shape at the same time.

I know that I should really cut back some of that new growth to encourage more growth but it seems to mean.  Maybe later in the year.

No comments: