Tuesday 21 February 2023

Introduction To Bookbinding - Week Two

 

As anyone who has been paying attention can see it has been more than a week since the first Intro to Bookbinding course, but I've been a little busy.  And that is the beauty of online courses, you can come to them as and when you have time.

This week I made time and I made 4 pamphlet books.

 

The first 2 are very simple.  Just a couple of A4 sheets cut down to make an A6 book and some lovely cumpled brown paper (part of some packaging from something that was posted to me) as a cover of sorts.  The first was the most basic, just 3 holes and then the second a little more complicated with 5 holes!  I think I like the 5 holes best.

 

Then using some of the first weeks folding technique, we attached our pamphlets to an accordian spine before trying 2 different types of cover.  A soft cover and a hard cover.

 

I love both of these and with a slightly thicker paper the soft cover would be amazing!  And I have an idea where I might use this for a personal project, so watch this space.

 

I found it best to watch the full video first so I know what is expected, then I can make sure my paper colours all work together, so I used a yellow accordian spine in the stripy soft cover book and a blue accordian spine in the stary hard cover book.

 

Loving that I'm getting a reminder of some stuff I already knew and learning new techniques to complement this.

I'm looking forward to week 3.  Hopefully it won't take quite so long to get there.

No comments: