Wednesday 10 April 2019

A Giant Knitted Bear


I've been knitting bears for a while now, but a couple of years ago when I gave my mum one for Christmas my little sister asked 'where's mine?'
I hadn't really thought she'd want one, but apparently I was wrong.  So when I found some Sirdar Alpine furry wool in the wool shop I got a couple of balls to make her one.
However this was just before last Christmas and I realised that this was a chunky knit wool!  The body was coming out massive, so I stopped to have a think before continuing.

Compared with a 'normal' knitted bear, he's a giant!
 It was after Chrismas before I continued on smaller needles.  Oh well I'd have it ready for her birthday in Feb.  And I would have too except it took a bit more wool than expected and the wool shop ran out! The wool finally arrived and I got the knitting finished, but then I realised the eyes I've got were too small so I had to order bigger ones.
I gave him jointed arms and legs rather than sewing them on, which worked really well.
I finally got him made up and gave him to her last week.  She was really happy and called him Bert.  And she said he was the perfect size because he is too big for her little dog Ellie to be interested in.  Perfect.

No comments: