Saturday 31 August 2013

John Browning Kites



I have been a member of the National Trust for years, first with my Mum and now with 'im outdoors.  I'm always meaning to visit more properties than I actually do, but on Monday we manage to visit one - Mottisfont in Hampshire.  
It had been recommenced by a friend because of its lovely gardens and its small art gallery in the house and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk by the river and round the walled garden, even if we were a bit late for the roses.
But it was the art gallery that really got my interest.  They have a selection of Winnie-the-Pooh illustration on display at the moment which are great, and in the next room they have a selection of mechanical art from the Cabaret Mechanical Theatre which were really fun to watch but it was the kites in the stairwell that got all my attention.
Kites by John Browning, made from handmade paper and leaves in very none kite shapes but which apparently fly beautifully.  They were all works of art in themselves and I spent ages fascinated by the near translucent leaves.
My big question - How did he do it?!  My only thought - I want to do that!

No comments: